The Cowry System
The Cowry system consists of several elements and aspects that work together to make software distribution and maintenance easier for both users and developers. These elements are:
- Additional keys for the Info.plist file to make application bundles self-describing.
- The .cwz archive format (based on the ZIP standard) provides packaging for distribution through the Internet.
- The Cowry application extracts those archives and installs the application on the system. The information inside the bundle allows Cowry to check for updates according to the user's preferences.
- The Cowry Finder plug-in makes embedded ReadMe's, Licenses, web links and update checking readily available without launching the application.
- The Cowry framework allows application developers to enhance their application with direct self-updating features.
- Cowry automatically manages application components that must be installed in specific locations (e.g. contextual menu plug-ins), even when the user moves the main application around in the file system.
Note that the current version does not yet implement all of these points.